Friday, 30 December 2011

The Year End Approaches

http://www.amazon.com/author/dlatkinson

http://completelynovel.com/books/i-have-to-get-it-right--2

15 pages free to view online- use your keyboard arrow keys to move up and down the pages.

Patrick A Steele is an accountant with training in a variety of physical skills who feels the need to right the wrongs in society!











Link to my second book newly released. Same rule as above!

Patrick A Steele is concerned about the influence of the USA on Great Britain! What will he do?









Exciting day in the writing stakes today. I received a telephone call from the local newspaper wanting an interview about my books which I duly gave. I must do something about the photograph though! I also wrote almost 2k words to 'The Biter Bit' today.  I have completed over 58k words of the book and within the next 5 to 7 k words it will be finished I think. I wrote for quite a long time and sometimes I feel that I just want to continue without stopping but it is important to maintain quality.

Extremes of Weather

A strange thought I suppose but it came from being awakened by strong winds and torrential rain. Those who live in countries that experience such extremes please forgive me but in the UK our weather is quite bland relatively speaking. Oh I know those in England feel that 4 inches of snow is extreme or winds of 60 - 70 mph horrendous but it is not that bad really. When writing it is great to have such experiences to draw from and gives life to your narrative. So the battering of the wind driven rain against my windows and the howling of that same wind through the tree tops woke me at around 06:00.
I remember being sunburnt on my shoulders aged 9 in Great Yarmouth and again in Noli in Italy aged 13 where my legs were purple and calomine lotion was the only salve to my agony. It was all relative at that time too!
I remember the North Sea crossing from Harwich to the Hook of Holland April 1965 where it was so rough even our teachers were sick! I wasn't I seem to sail quite well as did my parents but so many suffered. The sea was green as was the face of an Afro/Carribean girl from a different school party. Never seen that before or since.
I remember the heat or rather humidity in Osaka in Japan where we measured days in terms of the number of changes of t-shirts.
I remember in the early seventies setting off to work in Halifax, I lived in Bradford at the time, I'd picked a colleague up and we got about a mile or so on our journey when the car engine seized up because all the water in the system was frozen. Phil and I set out to walk to a bus stop and it was so cold that I can still 'feel' the burning sensation on my face and it was purely down to the air temperature and I can't remember ever experiencing that sort of pain before. C'mon it was Bradford West Yorkshire.

In England it never gets that bad so when we have slightly more extreme than we are used to it is like the end of the world. One of my many pet hates is when we have the odd extreme problem, and I know some people suffer real problems with flooding or other such 'Acts of God', there is always someone interviewed who trots out the phrase ' What is going to be done about it?' As if the government, local authority, police or any other official body can actually do anything! People choose to live in places that, if they thought about it, includes an in-built risk. It is like people who farm the sides of volcanoes because of the fertility of the land or choose to live on a cliff that is being eroded because of the view! The answer is no one can do anything about it! It is rather like King Canute trying to stop the tide!

God Bless

Twitter - @dla1950