Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Terrific Tuesday - shiawase kayoh bi

http://www.amazon.com/author/dlatkinson

http://completelynovel.com/books/i-have-to-get-it-right--2

15 pages free to view online- use your keyboard arrow keys to move up and down the pages.

Patrick A Steele is an accountant with training in a variety of physical skills who feels the need to right the wrongs in society!











Link to my second book newly released. Same rule as above!

Patrick A Steele is concerned about the influence of the USA on Great Britain! What will he do?









My visitor from Mexico returned yesterday  - welcome back. I ended up with quite a few visitors yeterday and lots of support from fellow authors for which I'd like to say thank you.
I continued with 'The Biter Bit' and have planned the ending. I seem to have a figure of around 65 - 70k for a novel that is comfortable for me to maintain the energy in the story.

Writing

When I first began writing I was wrongly concerned about the number of pages and words that constituted a novel. Sounds daft now I suppose but the concern was there and it deepened when some sites were quoting 100k words. That seemed really daunting and although I am able to write that much surely the important factor is energy. Not how much energy you have to write but the natural energy that a story has to maintain itself. If that begins to peter out then really you have passed the point at which the story should have ended and the quality will begin to suffer. I see the story as a vehicle in which the reader is taking a ride and is happy to be there while the fuel tank is full enough to keep the mode of transport moving forward.




Obviously the number of words quoted is so that publishers can distinguish between short, novella and novel. We should not be a slave to such limitations. When Dickens wrote 'A Christmas Carol' it would not constitute a novel and two other stories are published with it but that has not devalued the quality of the story as we all know. So write and when you reach the end of your story use the 'full stop' and leave it be. When you have a collection then publish them together.

God Bless

Twitter - @dla1950