Sunday, 11 March 2012

How to write Haiku and Tanka Poetry


 Sunderland success
Chill wind of reality
Black cats are purring

Another topical and quite personal Haiku in a style developed by a 17th Century Japanese poet Bashoh. Haiku being the 5-7-5 syllabic Japanese style of poetry and followed by Tanka which is 5-7-5-7-7 syllables. To turn this Haiku poem into Tanka two more lines are required and Tanka uses simile, metaphor and personification. So -

Like a powerful engine
Liverpool received the blow.

This is my first Tanka poem and so appropriate that it involves my football team and their excellent result yesterday. 



The Haiku and Tanka styles are ways of expressing how one feels about current affairs. I do not claim to be a poet in the usual sense of the word but these two styles I think provide a method of expression that anyone can access with a little thought. As with Haiku Tanka improves with experience and the rules of Haiku I published in a previous blog. Most importantly, both styles are about self- expression and throughout history poets other than Bashoh have 'fiddled' with the rules. I have tried to stay true to the original format.


Books




My free copy of the first Steele novel 'I Have To Get It Right' is still available from Smashwords until midnight Sunday. Search under David L Atkinson OR click on http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/99149 


God Bless