Tuesday, 6 March 2012

My life in books.

Books in my life

At the age of 61 I have read hundreds of books so trying to remember examples that have had a specific influence is rather difficult. You could argue that any that I remember must have been significant.
As an only child at a time when mum's stayed at home until the youngsters went to school I had my mum's undivided attention and so was reading by the time I went to school at five. However, I can't remember anything specific until I was around 11 or 12 years old and it was through a competition run by the local Rex cinema.

  I won the competition and and the prize was 'Kidnapped' by Robert Louis Stevenson which I naturally read but that wasn't the book I recall but it was the catalyst to me becoming a serious reader which has led me to writing.
Now I could talk about loads of books but it is probably easier to mention authors as I get caught up with authors then discard them rather like an old jumper. 

Alistair McLean, Dick Francis and 

Isaac Asimov are just three. 

For a while I read Sci/Fi then historical fiction and moved on to Bernard Cornwell and Patricia Cornwell. I enjoyed all of these fine writers but read a great deal for pure entertainment.

As I have aged I have dipped into all sorts of books. I read 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' by Dahl at age 24 and since have enjoyed the Harry Potter books and also Pullman's Dark Materials. 
However, there are certain titles that are close to my heart and they are:-

H.G. Wells and C. Dickens both studied for exams at 16. The latter whetted my appetite for more of his books which led to one that I read every year:-

A Christmas Carol by Dickens

Currently I have 10 Colin Dexter 'Inspector Morse' stories waiting to be broached.
The trouble is there are not enough hours to do all the writing I want to do and the reading I've still to do! Part of the reason that it is a 'trouble' is that I'm rather OCD and once I start a book I have to finish it with one exception that has been true all my life:-

currently tried and failed twice!

God Bless