Saturday, 7 July 2012

Handling Failure Well - familiar to all?

Failure refers to the state or condition of not meeting a desirable or intended objective, and may be viewed as the opposite of success.

no preview

Winston Churchill said,


Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.


I know what he meant by that I think. It would be so easy to be abject and miserable every time we got something wrong or failed to achieve our goals but life is full of hiccoughs (hiccups). In fact if you think of the myriad of occasions that we get something wrong, say the wrong thing, miss a deadline or even over sleep there are umpteen opportunities to 'fail' without including examinations and tests. My point is that we cannot dwell on failure and I believe Churchill was indicating that and suggesting we do so enthusiastically because that is life.


Ok so accepting these facts we must look at the art of writing and then having our efforts accepted and ultimately selling our work with that enthusiasm. Anyone who has read this blog previously will be aware of my attitude to writing and the fact that it is for me but if it is liked by others great. I do not consider my work as a failure because I am not a Dan Browne or J K Rowling. If I produce a book that does not fulfil me in the way it works out then that is my failure. 


So if you love writing as I do then write! Read your own work and love it and if you don't then change it into the way that satisfies you. If you are writing for commercial success only, then good luck because if you have the drive and the patience you will get there in the end and I wish you every success. 


no preview


Finally, Michael Jordan once said that he could accept failure because everyone fails at something but he couldn't accept not trying.


God Bless