Monday, 24 September 2012

A Tuesday Recipe - Tomato Crumble









 Tomato Crumble from way back.


I found this recipe in amongst a load of others in one of my Mum's collections - 'The Durham WI Cookery Book'. This must be between 50 and 60 years old. The Womens' Institute were renowned for producing home care advice in the form of books and leaflets and this is an example. I will publish the full recipe on the Tab above but it was quite simple in its original format. I have a hand written copy that had additions to enhance the flavour, namely the mushrooms and bacon, but I added garlic and basil for the same reason.
It is the sort of recipe that you could experiment with the 'filling'. So instead of tomato perhaps aubergine, courgette. In fact I haven't tried it but flaked fish may work. It would need to be something that allows the egg to permeate the dish.
If you try something different that works please let me know.

God Bless