Saturday, 22 September 2012

Choosing your next genre - SF

 The Speculative Future
I don't know about you but the genre I am involved with chose me rather than the other way round. In fact I would like to write in a different genre but am unsure what to have a go at. It won't be horror, romance or espionage but it could be science fiction or syfy or scifi - whatever nomenclature fits for you. It is more likely to be science fiction for a variety of reasons. I leant towards sciences at school, trained as a science teacher and taught Biology for many years so I suppose my mind is of that bent. Also, as I reported in this blog yesterday I spent many years reading nothing else. So some information about what a writer can expect when dipping their toes in this particular pool.

Science Fiction

Forrest J Ackerman used the term sci-fi (analogous to the then-trendy "hi-fi") at UCLA in 1954. As science fiction entered popular culture, writers and fans active in the field came to associate the term with low-budget, low-tech "B-movies" and with low-quality pulp science fiction Peter Nicholls wrote that "SF" (or "sf") is "the preferred abbreviation within the community of sf writers and readers".
While SF has provided criticism of developing and future technologies, it also produces innovation and new technology. The discussion of this topic has occurred more in literary and sociological than in scientific forums. Cinema and media theorist Vivian Sobchack examines the dialogue between science fiction film and the technological imagination. Technology impacts artists and how they portray their fictionalized subjects, but the fictional world gives back to science by broadening imagination. While more prevalent in the beginning years of science fiction with writers like Arthur C. Clarke, new authors still find ways to make the currently impossible technologies seem closer to being realized.
Now that last statement is quite a challenge. What a responsibility we have if from the convoluted recesses of our imaginations we could be driving the whole of society forward!
Also in researching this topic I've also discovered almost 20 sub-genres of SF one of which is Science Fiction poetry! That has my whiskers twitching! BUT then I discovered something called Scifaiku which is as it sounds SF haiku. (There is more about haiku on the above poetry tab). I found the following which was included by Terry Pratchett in his novel (non-Discworld) 'The Dark Side of the Sun'



Hark to the crash of
the leaves in the autumn, the smash
of the crystal leaves.

Something for me to work on I think!

God Bless