Thursday, 20 September 2012

Inspiration 2 - Beware 12/12/2012



 Coastal Storm

One aspect of the physical world that I find inspirational is water. It's power is immense. I was brought up near the North Sea coast and on days my parents took me to the beach it was great seeing the waves crashing against the promenade.

Rain Storm

It wasn't often, and still isn't, that we are the recipients of violent rainstorms but I can remember as a little lad sitting on the steps under the canopy of the front door and watching the rain bouncing down. For some inexplicable reason I can remember feeling calm, or perhaps overwhelmed is the correct description.


  Niagara Falls

I have stood where the people are standing in the photo and found the experience mind-bending from the points of view of power and quantity of water. The health and safety nuts would have cringed at the inadequacy of the fencing! But there is an interesting enigma in the falls. The water going over is limited to 2/3rds capacity. The power is fantastic but we humans are controlling it in some degree and in a way that offends me! As I wrote recently we homo sapiens are stewards of the Earth not the overlords! There may come a time when we will regret our arrogance, that could be sooner than we think, and if the Mayans had it correct that may be 12/12/2012. It is to be remembered that they were not foretelling of the end of the world but the end of one era and the beginning of the next. Nobody knows what form that will take but it worries me that we 'play God' with our planet and our bodies.

The point is our earth gives endless sources of inspiration and for me, the power of water which covers 2/3rds of the surface of our planet, is one of my favourites. It has the power to clean, support, scour, hydrate, bulldoze and much more but walking by it, swimming in it  and even drinking it seems to be a source of sharing. Water shares all of its talents with us and providing we are respectful it will always be there! I leave you with the second half of a verse from 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner' by Samuel Taylor Coleridge


Water, water, every where, 

And all the boards did shrink; 
Water, water, every where, 
Nor any drop to drink.



God Bless