Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Poetry Thursday 29 - Inspiration - what does it for you?

 Write this story.

inspiration  (ˌɪnspɪˈreɪʃən) 
— n
1.stimulation or arousal of the mind, feelings, etc, to special orunusual activity or creativity
2.the state or quality of being so stimulated or aroused
3.someone or something that causes this state
4.an idea or action resulting from such a state
5.the act or process of inhaling; breathing in

Wow! I was inspired to write this blog today after attending a talk by a friend who finds walking in mountainous areas inspirational. When I begin a blog of this nature I research by looking at meanings, usually Wikipedia comes up with something relevant but on this occasion it just threw umpteen choices of definitions, biblical, artistic and so on. The above definition is the most succinct I found in 30 secs of searching! I have no patience for verbose definitions.
I am giving a supposedly inspirational talk about writing in a few months time to the same group. It was natural for me to go last night. I could provide my own definition and it would be along the lines of :-

'anything and everything can stimulate the mind into some kind of activity'

Too general? Overtly dismissive? Over simplification/ Well that could be true but inspiration is subjective. For instance, stepping across this gap, Striding Edge, with massive drops at either side may be inspirational to some, I've done it aged about 15, but it was a task for me.
 The above stride is on this ridge.

Some people are inspired by the physical world. Others by less dramatic physical stimuli and even more by acts of violence, love or compassion. In these circumstances how can one definition be adequate?
I was inspired to write a haiku as a result of the fuss over Kate Middleton sunbathing topless:-


Kate’s Folly

Baring royal breasts
Privacy rules were flaunted
Covered sunbathing?

©David L Atkinson September 2012

But to continue the poetry that I was stimulated to write about childhood the one below has its heart in my second child:-

Doh-dohsi

A yellow confusion of arms and wheels
Noisy mammoth too big for the par cark
Trudging and grinding vibration one feels
Agonised progress to leave its earth mark

Viewed from the window a child’s translation
Great beast of work a play thing in his mind
A future employment indication
Or a flight of fancy to be left behind

Excavations maybe pitfalls of life
Training, learning constructing the future
Following a pattern devoid of strife
Developing upon years past of nurture

Symbol of one path through your existence
Immense adversary of resistance
©David L Atkinson August 2012


My point about inspiration being graphically demonstrated. If you hadn't been involved in the raising of my child you couldn't possibly understand the relevance of some of what is written above.
The very first picture at the top of this blog I find visually interesting - it may help others to write. A little like an examination subject, completing the task of writing about the picture will exercise your creative muscle. Have a go or not! Its up to you.

God Bless