Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Surprising source of inspiration - my heritage!

 Part of my past!

Sources of Inspiration

Well there I was this afternoon tearing round Lidl looking for something for a sandwich when I came across the above. It can be amazing the inspiration that comes from a mundane everyday object when it isn't everyday in the place where you live! I was born and brought up in County Durham in the north east of England a mere 100 miles from where I now live in Yorkshire. If you look at the bottom of the map below you will see Yorkshire mentioned. If you look towards the coast on the top right you will see the City of Sunderland which is where I was born and lived until the age of 18.


So back to the pease pudding. This yellowish semi solid gunge was the bane of my life at weddings receptions, christening parties and funeral wakes. The families who were central to those events always provided a meal and that was usually ham salad with generous dollops of the dreaded pease pudding!

 Here we have the pease pudding on a plate with ham - I had no salad in today! It looks harmless enough. There is a rhyme that we used to sing as youngsters:
Pease pudding hot
Pease pudding cold
Pease pudding in the pot nine days old.
Some like it hot
Some like it cold
Some like it in the pot nine days old.

There are a couple of other versions where 'pudding' is sometimes replaced by 'porridge' and 'potage', but it dates back into the 18th century at least. 

Pease Pudding is incredibly healthy as it says on the lid, low fat, gluten free and suitable for vegetarians. It is made from water, yellow split peas, salt and pepper.









The reason it inspired is that you rarely see it outside County Durham and it sprang out at me, not literally it really is dead, which I believe is referred to as a scatoma. I think that's the term - you know when you decide to change your car to a Lexus and the only cars you seem to notice when you are out are that make.

  Durham Cathedral and Castle                                                  

Durham City is beautiful known for its cathedral, castle and university but also one of the countries strictest high security prisons!

All this wealth of information from just the one chance encounter with pease pudding!

Promotion
From today until the end of September 'I Have To Get It Right' the first Steele novel is free on smashwords.com just enter the code QX43D - please review. The link to the book is below.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/99149
God Bless