Tuesday, 16 October 2012

A day trip to the coast.



These two great lumps off the coast at Marsden are representative to me of a favourite part of the world. They are off the cliffs framing a beach and pub/cafe serviced by a lift constructed in 1937. It is the only shingle beach on this part of the coast but nevertheless a great place which was only about h where I could obtain a pint alf an hour from where I was born and raised.
I was away for slightly more than 24 hours but had a great time. It was a much needed break and another day would have been even better but one mustn't be greedy. 

 The weather was bright and breezy and while on at Marsden the sea didn't seem that rough but once the tide came in 3 or 4 miles down the coast at Seaburn there were some powerful waves crashing into the promenade.
Such visual and auditory stimulation brought on the need to write and I produced a sonnet style poem which I will share in my regular poetry blog on Thursday. Also I wrote a haiku, spur of the moment response to a bit of information given by a mate. He told me of a place where I could obtain a pint of my favourite beer and so I went along!

Not Landlord

Sonnet forty three
A poet's real libation
With autumn sea view
©David L Atkinson October 2012

Obviously, there was none of my favourite but I was offered a more than adequate replacement quaintly and aptly called Sonnet 43!


The photo below was taken from my hotel room. I didn't have to stand on the wardrobe or swing from the chandelier to obtain the shot so quite a pleasing room.

God Bless