Thursday, 4 October 2012

National Poetry Day - UK 04/10/2012 - Stars

The National Poetry Day theme is Stars!  

About National Poetry Day

Since 1994 National Poetry Day has engaged millions of people with poetry through a range of live events and web-based activities for people young and old throughout the country. Website link below.

The perfect excuse for me to indulge myself! I enjoy writing poetry and sometimes it works and sometimes its balmy! As it happens I have some stuff stacked up and a promotion coming up this weekend. A coincidence honest. First a bit of fun:-


Time

There was a time before the wine
That I could walk a straighter line

Father time no friend of mine

Without the wine that straighter line
Is hard to walk at any time
©David L Atkinson September 2012



I wrote that when sober - honest!
So STARS! Are they referring to heavenly bodies or orbiting structures in the cosmos? Does it matter?

                          Stars

Showered with adoration from the masses
Targets of misplaced worship
Abilities limited but in demand
Resident in ivory towers
Shatterable
©David L Atkinson October 2012

But on a slightly less frivolous note I have written quite a lot of poetry in the last few months and at times I have thought about the process I go through when I write poetry. In fact I was asked recently about a poem that I was requested to submit to our Parish magazine, small fry I know but I was flattered. I found myself floundering somewhat. The fact is that I write poetry in response to my emotional state. The style I choose or on occasions I just write and sometimes it works first time and sometimes it doesn't. Some may think that the latter is the norm. The whole point is that it satisfies me. The acrostic above is a typical example in that it matches the frivolity and transiency of celebrity in my mind.
Okay then so the stars in the cosmos.
The ideas that spring to mind initially are about points of light; tiny; massive; noisy; black velvet; orbiting and so on. What style should I choose? Not haiku or tanka I think. Rhyming couplets perhaps? I think writing about stars may well lend itself to the sonnet style, after all it can be quite romantic'

Stars

Scattered upon a black, velvet cushion
Points of brilliance demanding your gaze
Too distant to discern any function
Visible through an emotional haze

Shining in the eyes of friend or lover
Romanticising a chill winters night
Hand in hand discovering each other
Heart deep warmed by sparkling pinpricks of light

Stellar noises tease tender emotions
Waken the yearning in young persons' minds
Roars through psyche demanding devotion
Carves into the heart of men of all kinds

Romantic allegiance comes from afar
Is it only light issuing from stars?
©David L Atkinson October 2012

KDP Select







Once again I am offering my collection of poetry 'The Musings of a Confused Mind' FREE to Kindle and Kindle app. This is for one day only Saturday 6th October. The collection is a first and includes thought provoking and educational opportunities. Some of the work is highly topical and other examples are intensely personal and I believe that there is something there for everyone to derive some stimulation from.
Please use the link below or click on the book on the side bar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Musings-Confused-Mind-ebook/dp/B008YF1RI2

God Bless