Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Poetry Thursday 33 - Seaburn Sonnet


A Seaburn Sonnet

I was born and raised within easy reach
Been a while since I set foot on the beach
What I noticed first was the strident sound
How loudly the waves crashed on pebbled ground

From atop the crumbling cliff all seemed calm
Up close and personal it could do great harm
I resolve not to stay away so long
The sea has a need to give me its song

The air is better closer to the sea
Ozone is plentiful and all for free
Good for the voice a teacher did assert
Legal performance enhancer - no dirt!

Sweet music and song from water and rocks
But be warned the sea is sly as a fox
©David L Atkinson October 2012




The inspiration for the sonnet is what has often been laughingly termed one of the north east's twin holiday resorts! Seaburn is about four miles from the house in which I was brought up and it was handy on a fine day. But how things have changed. I remember as a child parades of shops where you could buy fishing nets, bucket and spade and souvenirs. Now it is all hotels, pubs and restaurants. Still the sandy beach and the sea have not changed.
The photograph was taken around 09:00 so sunrise rather than sunset.

God Bless