Sunday, 23 December 2012

I Have To Get It Right - Chapter 16 (part 4) Conclusion

This is the conclusion of my first book. If you have enjoyed this please continue reading about the development of Steele and his pals in the books shown on the side bar. There are links that will allow you to purchase them on Amazon and other sites in paperback or electronic version. Thank you for taking the trouble to follow this story.

David L Atkinson

Chapter 16 (part 4)
I was in my car and driving in the direction my mentor had told me within three minutes. I marvelled at the accuracy of his descriptions but shouldn’t be surprised with the technology available today. The directions were perfect. Less than ten minutes after speaking to Sumisu I was standing by the two vehicles the Italians were using having deflated their tyres with my knife. Even in daylight as it was the car park and the roads were quiet. It was too early in the evening for the pub to be overly busy but there were other cars in the car park. I was amazed they had not left someone outside guarding the vehicles, but perhaps that was an indication that they felt safe and not followed. I now walked towards the pub door, entered through a tiny hallway with three doors and chose the door marked ‘Lounge’ on my right. The bar was on the left with a young lady stood behind and there were several tables, mostly empty. The room was low ceilinged and dark enough for the lights to be on. The party I was looking for were sat along the window wall. Jacinta was facing me and sat between two very big men. The other three had their backs to me. I walked to the bar and ordered a glass of orange and soda and a tuna sandwich on a baguette. I carried my drink to a small table near the toilets in a shadowy part of the room. The group were eating and drinking and were about half way through their meal so they took little interest in me. I guessed that she would visit the bathroom before they left.
My sandwich arrived and I ate hungrily. It had been a while since my last meal. The bread was tough and so was the tuna, it tasted of nothing but vinegar but it gave my jaw muscles some exercise. I observed my target closely without seeming to be. One of the men stood and walked towards the exit. Damn! If he goes out to the cars he will sound the alarm. As he was opening the door I saw him take a packet of cigarettes from his jacket pocket. I held my breath and waited. I took another bite of my sandwich and chewed slowly and deliberately. After three minutes nothing! I started to relax. He came back in and sat down and took another drink. They ordered coffee and I knew at this point Jacinta was going to move.
The door had the name ‘Toilets’ stencilled in gold. That meant that there would be at least two doors. Above the door was a green Fire Exit sign. Obviously there would be a door to the outside also. As soon as I saw Jacinta move to rise I stood and went through the door before her. The Gents was first on the left the Ladies second and the fire door was right at the end of a short corridor. I checked the Gents out and it was empty. I eased the door to the Gents open a touch so I could see her coming.
She was being very careful because one of the thugs with her came through first. I pocketed my gun, which I had intended to use and pulled my knife. He checked the ladies before holding the door for her. She thanked him in Italian and went in. He called something to her and headed for my hiding place. I got behind the door and as soon as he got in I grabbed him from behind and slipped the knife between his ribs and into his heart. He went down quickly and died quietly.
I left the toilet and went to the Ladies. Jacinta was washing her hands and that was how she died. I had no conscience about killing her. She was a massive user and abuser of people, not least her own husband, and part of a family that had murdered hundreds, possibly thousands of children with their drugs in the lust for money. Well she wouldn’t do that anymore. I had walked behind her, put my hand over her mouth and slipped my carbon steel blade into her left lung then removed it and inserted it between her ribs on the right side of her body. Puncturing the lungs stops calling for help and there is less blood! She dropped to the floor catching her face on the washbasin and lay still. I was fairly sure that the sound would not have travelled into the bar through the two intervening doors, but I wasted no time. I left via the fire door and ran round the building to the car park. I got into my car and drove on down the road. I slowed and turned round in a cul-de-sac and waited. It wasn’t long before the sound of sirens split the air. I left the town heading north and then turned left when I saw a sign for the A19. I didn’t know whether to go north or south but my heart led me towards home so I pulled over in a lay-by off the southbound carriageway and rang Sumisu.
“It’s over Sumisu san. She’s dead!” I heard my own voice sounding flat.
“Well done Patrick san. You must return home and I will meet you there soon!” he rang off without another word.
I don’t remember the journey home. My mind was a whirl of thoughts concerning the consequences of my actions. Was I just a cold-blooded killer or a modern day Robin Hood maybe? The fact of the matter is that I was a bit of both. Robin Hood would have killed the ‘bad men’ in his day and that was what I had done as well as rid the world of some very nasty people. It was a situation on my conscience.
When Sumisu did come and see me I had started to pick up some of the strands of my life as it had been. I was keeping fit, using the gym and road running, and spending some of the money I had acquired. There was a considerable amount and I struggled to spend the interest! I would never have to work again, well not in the normal meaning of the word, but I do not see how I could refuse to do the Gurentai’s work! I had taken their money after all. I also still feel strongly that there is a place in the world for someone who can take action and not be tied by beaurocracy.
Sumisu was very happy with the outcome of our activities. There was no sign of the Italians in the northeast; McSwann’s had filed for bankruptcy and, another two local government officers that had worked with James Thompson had been prosecuted for fraud. He told me that the Thompson orphans, for that is what they now are, were living in Italy in The Marche, at Jesi in their grandparents villa and with regards to future jobs all Sumisu san would say was,
“Take a holiday, spend some money! I will be in touch Patrick san!” with a small smile.


A Christmas Wish




Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read my blog, pass comment and buy my books. I wish everyone a wonderful, God given Christmas. I will have a couple of days off posting but will return on Thursday.


God Bless