Monday, 14 January 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - Chilli con Carne


The fuzziness in the top left of the picture is steam. 

No great secrets with this dish, as always heat and flavour is down to choosing quality ingredients and their freshness. I have put the recipe on the relevant TAB at the top of the page. This is a really flexible and personal dish in that it can be adapted to your own personal taste and also in that it can be served with rice, tacos, chips, jacket potato, even naan bread, and whatever else you like.

However, I include it in my list of recipes because of the first option - the rice. I had reached the age of 62 without ever really cooking rice satisfactorily for me! Then I listened to a TV chef, I forget which one, and started using one of his tips. It is so simple and has made such a difference. For starters I tend to overcook rice and it comes out like a soft pudding ball, sticky and unappetizing. So I keep a close eye on it and one other thing is that I soak and then rinse the rice. I soak the rice in cold water for at least a couple of hours, rinse with cold water then boil for 10 - 15 minutes in boiling water. 

Sounds obvious, I know, but it took me over 60 years to find the solution I'm just trying to save time for my readers!

Spicy Meal

Chilli con Carne
Burning hot and needs beer
Edgy comfort food
©David L Atkinson January 2013



God Bless