Friday, 25 January 2013

Newton's 3rd Law

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

As I intimated in the poem I published in my blog Poetry Thursday 46 'Hope and Expectation' - everybody can't be a winner. So it was with an element of sadness that I read the article concerning the reaction of modern pentathlete Mhairi Spence to her 21st finishing spot in the Olympics. To put her 'failure' in perspective she was World Champion going into the Games. She said,

"For me, it was a disaster. I can't describe it in any other way. I felt it destroyed part of me." 

and later in the article an indication of where she was coming from,

"As an athlete you put yourself out there to be tested, to fail. And every time you lose, a little piece of you gets chipped away," she says.
"Having been bullied in school and had so many knockbacks - to have success in London would have let me say to others, look what I've done, you can do it too.
"I had wanted to show people who I was. Instead I felt like I'd let everyone down. So many of my friends and family had come to watch. They said they were proud of me for competing, but you only think they would be more proud if you were on the podium.
"I felt like I was a nobody, that I shouldn't be in my GB kit. You would think it would get easier to deal with it, but it doesn't. It still breaks you down."

The writer of the article goes on to talk about numerous other 'failures' who have considered jacking in their sport. Of course that smacks of poor psychological preparation. If these people had accepted the possibility of failure of course it would be argued that it would jeopardise their drive for success but hey that's life.
One option of course would have been to treat their qualification for the Games as the real success and a medal as the 'icing on the cake'.

To a certain extent Indie authors are in a similar situation when wanting to be published or at least, to sell their work in quantity. We always have the option of not writing but if others are like me they would rather cut off an arm. So we have to accept that our work may not be successful but if we are to be true to our art and ourselves we will press on. As the saying goes you have to be in it to win it.
Below a poem that deals with some of the issues of being in the human race!


Being a Human

Never liked being categorised
Being me is being individual
I write because it is what fits.
Expression is part of life but stifled.
We (humans) are told how we must respond.
We (humans) are in conflict with that.
We (humans) need to express.
If that doesn’t fit with others (humans) that is their issue!
It doesn’t make us (humans) wrong – just different.
Accept each other’s (humans) viewpoint.
If it’s not for you – okay.
BUT do not rubbish the efforts of others (humans).
Share different stances
Empathise
Absorb the passion that causes action.
Understand the depths from which it comes.
Look for your own depths and enjoy the release.
Relish the variety.
©David L Atkinson January 2013




God Bless