Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Poetry Thursday 47 - I am I think!

Being a student gives you more than just a course leading to qualifications. It gives you time to express your inner most ideas about the meaning of life usually under the influence of alcohol! I got into the Moody Blues and below is an example of their work.
My poem this week is an amalgam of philosophical ideas of whether we exist or not, what our lives mean and where we are going as human beings. (None of this under the influence of any kind of stimuli just my mind set free!)

 The Moody Blues

http://youtu.be/WTHoKEd-Gjo

Lyrics


[First Man:] I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.

[Establishment:] Of course you are my bright little star,
I've miles
And miles
Of files
Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
And now to suit our
Great computer,
You're magnetic ink.

[First Man:] I'm more than that, I know I am, at least, I think I must be.

[Inner Man:] There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles
And piles
Of trials
With smiles.
It riles them to believe
That you perceive
The web they weave
And keep on thinking free.

--------------------------------------------


Interestingly, I attended a meeting today about safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. During that talk the leader, referring to an external body that carried out security checks, told us that this nameless body had records on all of us regarding TV and internet providers and our behaviours there, banking and purchasing habits, as well as interactions involving criminality. I am aware that most free thinking adults will be aware of these possibilities it is just rather disturbing to have it confirmed aloud and publicly. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------


Cessation - the poem!

Do we live within the molecules of a table leg?
When we leave a room how do those left behind know we still exist?
When we are silent and alone in a room what is outside?

All our lives are inside our heads.
The policies of governments push us towards isolationism.
The internet is a vehicle carrying us towards emptiness.

Social interaction is a developing anathema
Criminality will increase and the populations fall
Small will become beautiful – the only way

Can we change our direction in time?
Will we learn what we did wrong?
Will the minority fat controllers listen at last?
©David L Atkinson January 2013


God Bless