Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Wonderful words!

 Words

I love words! Well let's face it, as a writer, if I didn't I'd be in a mess. My father, a miner in the Durham Coalfield objected vehemently when words were mis-pronounced. He would get cross with weather forecasters who said 'temechers' instead of 'temperatures'; newsreaders who named the day 'Wensday' instead of 'Wednesday'; and, many more. During my formative years my senses have been assaulted by such advertisements as the one for milk with the slogan "Drinka Pinta Milka day"



My father's, and to a lesser degree Mum's, attitude towards words had the affect of encouraging me to focus on words and as a teacher and now a writer the influence has never lessened. Of course there is always a debate about language evolution and lazy speech but I believe we need to be consistent in the media because our children use the media often from which they learn. Similarly the misuse of punctuation and capitals can confuse the young learner.

Okay rant over! All this came about because I used a word this lunchtime that caused some questions and it was convivial.

con·viv·i·al

 [kuh n-viv-ee-uh l] 
adjective
1.
friendly; agreeable: a convivial atmosphere.
2.
fond of feasting, drinking, and merry company; jovial.
3.
of or befitting a feast; festive.

A great word and accurately descriptive of the evening we spent with friends last night celebrating the end of the old year.


God Bless