Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Writing, emotion - Les Miserables





I just got back from seeing the new release of this excellent story. Being an 'Insider' I get in for £5 on a Tuesday and as I like quiet cinemas (see a previous blog about 'behaviours' a couple of days ago) I tend to go late morning on a Tuesday. Even so there were a few of us 'Greys' in the auditorium and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. In fact I was aware of what to expect as I've seen the stage show but it was still a real tear-jerker. 

 Hugh Jackman

The performances of Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway were exceptional both acting and singing and that is not to say the performances from others weren't good. 

 Anne Hathaway

It just struck me that there is an unknown in good tales and that is how to generate the emotion. The way individuals react to an amusing, disturbing or sad story is very much an individual response linked with current state of mind, experiences, upbringing and so on. However, there must be techniques of generating emotional response without over stating the obvious.
If you've had positive feedback on such ideas please let me know.
Whatever, if you haven't seen Les Miserables in any of its forms I would recommend you do so asap.


God Bless