Sunday, 31 March 2013

31st March 1596 - Rene Descartes


Rene Descartes (b 31/03/1596 - 1650)

René Descartes was a French philosopher, mathematician, and writer who spent most of his adult life in the Dutch Republic. He has been dubbed the 'Father of Modern Philosophy', and much subsequent Western philosophy is a response to his writings, which are studied closely to this day.
He is perhaps best known for the philosophical statement "Cogito ergo sum" (FrenchJe pense, donc je suis; English: I think, therefore I am), found in part IV of Discourse on the Method

It was that statement that the Moody Blues used in their 'Dream' track on the LP - Threshold of a Dream. Lyrics that I've quoted in previous blogs.


'A book is a friend that does what no friend can do - stay quiet when you want to think!'

For writers I believe it has a great deal of mileage. When you take into consideration the root of much writing comes from within the author then 'I think therefore I am' is logical. It could almost be slightly different in that 'I write therefore I am' would certainly apply to me in that the exercise provides me with so many aspects of my life. It gives personal satisfaction, emotional release and entertainment and there isn't an awful lot more that you need in life.
The Steele novels are intended to entertain and I feel entertained as I write them. In a sense they are the books that I wished someone else had written to entertain me!

God Bless