Monday, 25 March 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - Bolognese left overs

I made a fairly standard bolognese sauce this weekend and as a single person they can sometimes seem to go on forever. I ate some with fusili and the following day had spaghetti bolognese but still stuck with half of what I'd made I decided to experiment!
Now I'm not putting a recipe for Italian meat sauce on the recipe tab because everyone can produce such a sauce and quite often with their own variations but I will put on this front page some of the variations I served them with.

 Bolognese crumble

Firstly, I decided to produce a quick crunchy topping that turned out to be more of a savoury 'crumble'. The simplest topping to produce that could form the basis for more ambitious toppings is simply red leicester cheese and whole grain breadcrumbs. You could add herbs such as oregano or finely chopped onion the limitation is simply your imagination.


 Bolognese pies

The bottom photo shows straight forward pies filled with the Italian meat sauce. I used Rachel Khoo's pastry recipe and the ingredients are below:-

90g soft margarine
180g plain flour
1 tsp sugar
1 pinch salt
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp ice cold water.

The method is simplicity itself. Cream the margarine, salt and sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth then add the flour, egg yolk and cold water. Don't over knead. Wrap in cling film and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours but preferably overnight. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before you need to work with it. As the filling was already cooked it only takes around 20 - 30 minutes in a moderate oven.

The end result is okay. I used foil muffin tins to bake the pies in and greased them with sunflower oil which worked as they came out without breaking. You could serve them with salad, green vegetables or even baked beans!

 Just to show that they didn't fall apart when I cut into them!


God Bless