Saturday, 16 March 2013

The Inner & Outer Life - Balance



I didn't have a particularly brilliant end to yesterday. Nothing drastic just my inner life overtook my outer life and resulted  in imbalance. I then began to think about how every situation can have an effect on how we feel. That delicate balance of the inner and outer self can even cause a different reaction to similar situations. When imbalance is more often the case than not then mental illness may be present. I know I've been there.

Inner Life
You are unique. There has never been another YOU and there never will be again. It is the internal force that drives you towards the goals that you find satisfying. It's important that you listen to your inner self and work towards the things that will make you happy. However, you need to be aware of the influence your actions, driven by the inner self, have on others - your outer life. This is important because others reaction to you can have a detrimental effect on your inner life if they are negative.

Outer Life
This is what others see of you and how you interact visibly with the physical world. It can be physically hurt and decays with age but is the shell which hides the inner life.

There is an essay by J R Miller, a Christian author who lived from 1840 - 1912 in the Pennsylvania/Illinois area, called 'The Outer and Inner Life' written in 1895. In the essay he expresses his views from a Christian viewpoint but discusses the difference well. He finishes by saying that death is the crowning point of life and I include the poem he finishes with.

"Death is the crown of life;
Were death denied, poor man would live in vain;
Were death denied, to live would not be life;
Were death denied, e'en fools would wish to die.
Death wounds to cure; we fall; we rise; we reign;
Spring from our fetters; hasten to the skies,
Where blooming Eden withers in our sight.
Death gives us more than was in Eden lost;
This king of terrors—is the prince of peace."

When the imbalance comes it can lead you into dark places in your inner life.

Quote from Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein

“Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labours of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.”


God Bless