Sunday, 24 March 2013

Visualisation - writing



I took a walk around Yorkshire Sculpture Park last week, before the snow came. There are numerous exhibits. I was thinking about what I'd seen in relation to writing.

I wonder what was in the mind of the artist when creating these images. On the left a simple combination of a cone and a cuboid. Why would he/she do that? Does it matter? Then the two figures in the trees in the manner of protagonists covered in spots! Or maybe they are not fighting and is there something else there? Whatever you come up with is your own interpretation and as such is not incorrect. It may not coincide with what is in the artists mind at the time of creation but the artist has you thinking.

  There were a number of exhibits in this hard and shiny black material and for me all were slightly space age science fiction. There is a hard and yet humorous side to the work and I like them. They remind me of Doctor Who!


Obsidian

 I don't know whether the black sculptures were made from obsidian but it seemed like a possibility. It reminded me of a visit to the Museum in Cairo a few years ago which threw up one of the many enigmas of that fascinating country. There was an obsidian made statue in the museum and it must have been carved with diamond as nothing else is hard enough. It was carved a thousand years before diamond was used as a cutting tool! The hook for a SF story set 3000 years ago and more in Egypt?

'A book is a friend that does what no friend can do - stay quiet when you want to think!'


I came across a blog earlier today from a writing friend Bert Carson and it was inspiring.

http://www.bert-blogging.com/

He concludes a very interesting blog with the following and I make no apology for including his final paragraph,

It is estimated that there are 700,000 independent writers in the world.  Every one of us has the writer's version of Walt's fear - no one will read my books.  We have to remember that some won't and there's nothing we can do to change that.  We also have to remember that some will and our business, after writing and publishing our books, is to find those who will.

If you want to put it in context please follow the link above.

Back to the artwork. For me writing is as much art as sculpture, painting, music and so on. How it is perceived is up to the recipient which links nicely into Bert's blog. My Steele novels are an expression from within me and are not unlike a picture or sculpture, but how they are received is up to the reader. I have a plea - if you are a writer then write from within and not for an audience.
Oh by the way - if you like what I write please buy using the links at the side of this page.

God Bless