Thursday, 14 March 2013

Welcome Pope Francis I - and Lord Archer on writing.


 Pope Francis I


As a non-catholic but nevertheless a practising Christian I wish this venerable gentleman every success in his endeavours whatever they may be. I think everyone in the world is aware of the issues that he will have to face during his papacy.

Writing
The current Steele novel 'Inception' is standing at 50k+ words and as I usually write between 60 and 70k words nearing its conclusion. I am not a great planner of my work and so was gratified to hear Jeffrey Archer indicating that he seems to plan less than me.

 Jeffrey Archer

 One of his books.

Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.
Before becoming an author, Archer was a Member of Parliament (1969–74), resigning over a financial scandal in which almost made him bankrupt. Later, after a reversal in his fortunes from his best-selling novels, he became deputy chairman of the Conservative Party (1985–86) before resigning after another scandal which would ultimately lead to the end of his political career. His political career ended with his conviction and subsequent imprisonment (2001–03) for perjury and perverting the course of justice in a (successful) libel case which followed his second resignation. He was made a life peer in 1992. Archer's books have sold at least 250 million copies worldwide.


In spite of a rather colourful character, to say the least, he comes across as a very pleasant and easy going character and I have enjoyed a number of his 17 books. More below:-

Kane and Abel (1979)     Only Time Will Tell (2011)     A Prisoner of Birth (2008)      Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less (1976)

So back to my current enterprise. I have reached chapter 19 and the end is in my head irrespective of my reluctance to plan. It just popped up there a few days ago in pictorial form. It was rather like the way I dream. I believe that I dream in colour and this was the case when I saw the final scene of 'Inception' in my mind and it actually spurred me on to write more quickly. There are still spaces before the final scene that will require work but as with Lord Archer they develop as I write.

God Bless