Monday, 8 April 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - Casserole - cheap and tasty

 
Belly pork with roasted roots and greens.

Once again from the Durham W.I. cookbook this time from a small place called Brancepeth.

Brancepeth is a village and civil parish in County Durham, in England. It is situated about 8 km (5.0 mi) from Durham on the A690 road between Durham and WeardaleBrancepeth Castle was until 1570 the fortress of the Neville Earls of Westmorland. The castle was extensively modified and rebuilt in the 19th century.

A very tasty recipe this one and I think it is because of the cut of meat. My mother lived until she was ninety and never cut the fat from any type of meat and one thing she always said was that the fat in meat enhances the flavour. I also remember that I was taught as a Science student that a balanced diet included carbohydrates, protein and fat in the proportions 3:1:1. The meat in this casserole is belly pork and it cost £2.44 for six pieces. The fresh vegetables were also very cheap. It would feed three people comfortably as the pieces of meat were quite small.

The recipe is on the TAB above.

I did my usual roasted vegetables with peas and trimmed green beans. I used rosemary, olive oil, and black pepper for the roasted veg.

RIP Margaret Thatcher who died this morning - be warned my Mum is waiting for you!


God Bless