Sunday, 7 April 2013

Memory and writing - where were you when?


 31st August 1997

If it helps it was a Sunday. I actually am hopeless at this type of question. I have vague recollections  when some people seem to know exactly what they were doing and where they were. As the photograph tells you it was the day that Dodi Fayed and Princess Diana were killed in Paris.

Then a biggy would have been 11/09/2001. My wife picked me up from work around 15:30 and told me that a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers. The news was rather confusing but then when we arrived home we saw that a second plane had hit the neighbouring tower. This was a Tuesday.

 September 11th 2001

There are other moments in time that I remember but not so much for the date and time but for their significance.
I remember being on holiday in a B and B in Whitby when Elvis died. Then going further back there was the assassination of John F Kennedy when I was 13. 


'A book is a friend that does what no friend can do - stay quiet when you want to think!'

So what has the above to do with writing? We produce work that we want people to enjoy, that may be informative and will be memorable. If you've read a book that has memorable moments those moments last forever. 
I have a mental picture of the misty marshes where Pip is first accosted by Magwitch in 'Great Expectations'. Then there is the boiling sea on the Murmansk convoy run during the 2nd World War tale 'HMS Ulysses'. It is the ability to weave pictures with your words that will help make your work memorable but don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to perform this on every page.



God Bless