Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Poetry Thursday 57 - A Simple Desultory Phillipic

I have been a fan of Simon and Garfunkel since the 1960s and heard this song which I believe had the subtitle 'A Simple Desultory Phillipic' and was on the Bridge Over Troubled Water album. I also happen to believe that it is a beautiful piece of poetry hence it's inclusion today.

 Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon

Kathy's Song

I hear the drizzle of the rain
Like a memory it falls
Soft and warm continuing
Tapping on my roof and walls.

And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To England where my heart lies.

My mind's distracted and diffused
My thoughts are many miles away
They lie with you when you're asleep
And kiss you when you start your day.

And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme.

And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you.

And as I watch the drops of rain
Weave their weary paths and die
I know that I am like the rain
There but for the grace of you go I.

 Eva Cassidy

http://youtu.be/F6WRVzwIg2o 

This version by the late Eva Cassidy is beautiful. She had such a pure and clear voice that pierced deep into your soul when she sang. God rest her musical soul.

I have been pondering poetry of my own to include this week and, apart from the Haiku 'Thatcher' that I included the other day, it has been an arid week. However, as poetry is an emotional response and, like everyone else in the UK, my emotions were affected by the ladies death, here goes:-


The Thatcher Dichotomy


There is no doubt that residue is left,
that polarised feelings are deeply felt.
No question of her not leaving a mark.
The range was from good to bad in equal part.
She was loved and hated in equal measure
will be celebrated in death as a national treasure.
 A position that leaves some elated
while others have the government berated.
Guilty of destroying communities’ heart
the NHS destruction her policies start.
A tigerish defence of Britain’s protectorate
and refusal to allow EEC dictat.

The boss of every feeble man
Maggie undoubtedly was a woman!
©David L Atkinson April 2013

God Bless