Thursday, 11 April 2013

Writing and thinking.

'A book is a friend that does what no friend can do - stay quiet when you want to think!'

The above reminds me of Renee Descartes' 'I think therefore I am' statement. However, that is not my reason for raising the subject. There is no doubt that the longer you stick with a lead character the more complex it becomes. Reflecting back over the five Steele novels I've produced and it is clear to me how much more of a person Patrick has become. In 'Inceptus', the fifth story, we are treated to greater insight into Patrick Steele the man, his life, his history and his loves. This in one way, as the book nears completion,  has brought me to a crossroads. He could be killed off and I would never write another Steele novel; he could be hurt and need time off; his love could die and he would continue dispensing his brand of justice; or they could all live happily ever after! It triggers the megalomaniac in me!


What I actually know is that eventually Patrick will decide. I heard an interesting sermon yesterday in which the preacher referred to 'the locked doors that we hide behind' doors which of course are of our own construction and with similarly self-designed locks. It reminded me of the blog I wrote about the inner and outer lives we lead. The characters in our stories become intriguing when there are doors for the reader to be intrigued by as the tale develops. That led me to the following:-



Locked Doors

Inside a
soft centre.
Fragile like
fine porcelain.
Crafted perfection

Heavy wooden
protection.
Lion’s head knocker.
Secret key
Easy to find.

Press the right
buttons.
Be true!
It can be opened
with care.
©David L Atkinson April 2013



Books

The links to ebooks and paperbacks are at the side of this page.

First Steele novel - 'I Have To Get it Right'  - Steele's first steps into the murky world of injustice.

2nd Book - 'The 51st State' - Should we really be aligning ourselves so closely to the USA? What did Steele do about it?

3rd Book - 'The Biter Bit' - Is Patrick A Steele always as invincible as he first appears?

4th Book - 'A Changed Reality' - Society is not what it was. Crime is on the increase and Patrick is busier than ever and his relationship with Naomi is also changing. A 'changed reality' in more than one sense.

5th Book - 'Inceptus' - Still under construction but in its death throes. The end is nigh! How will Steele's relationship develop or will it end in tragedy? Does he survive to fight on against injustice? Watch this space for an announcement regarding the release of this latest story.

God Bless