Friday, 31 May 2013

Writing - If TIME wasn't a constant





The link above is to my very first poetry reading. It lasts 58 seconds and I look wooden! Never have liked watching myself or having photographs taken. Listen to the words please?

The reason behind the Daliesque clock is because of my own impatience. For example, I published 'Inceptus', the 5th Steele novel, last week and it is available on Kindle and from CompletelyNovel.com but will take up to six weeks to be available in the main high street stores! What is that about in these days of electronic communication? However, while I was preparing the poem to read on youtube, I tried reading the first few pages of my latest effort aloud. I found a mistake within a couple of minutes and that is after I'd read through twice previously and two editors had missed the error. It is not catastrophic but it niggles!
Going back to the above link, as I said it takes less than one minute to read, but it took considerably longer than that to write. Is that not time demonstrating a level of elasticity - perhaps I'm just being a little fanciful!

Haiku



April Jones RIP

Little April Jones Sent to God's mercy early Frozen out of life
©David L Atkinson May 2013


This child's family have a lifetime of sorrow to face that will stretch out interminably before them. There won't be a day goes by when they will wonder if it was their fault or if they could have done things differently. The punishment for Bridger the paedophile murderer - questionable as to whether there is a fitting punishment. I am not an advocate of capital punishment or an 'eye for an eye' because nothing you can do to that man will bring April back. He shouldn't be allowed to access other people ever again.

Cricket

Another example of stretchy time. In my blogs last week I featured a daily update on the 5 day test match. Today the one day series begins. For the uninitiated test last up to 5 days and the current tournament 50 overs - 1 day. Still 11 men each side but the limit is in the number of balls bowled to each team. 50 sets of 6 balls and the winning team scores as many runs as possible. For the players the skills are different in that they haven't a lot of time to settle themselves and the ball has to be hit further and harder. Some would argue that this shortened form is more interesting than 5 day tests but the clue is in the name. A test match requires greater fortitude, stamina and concentration.



'A book is a friend that does what no friend can do - stay quiet when you want to think!'

Time and writing depends on your reason for writing. I read a quote from an author the other day that was along the lines of 'I'm aiming to write four books this year'. Personally, I am relieved that I'm not in the position of having to write under pressure of deadlines whether externally or personally imposed. In fact if I was put under pressure to complete a book within a given time I would probably stop writing longer stories. On average it takes me about 4 months from start to finish to complete a story. My latest project 'Cessation' is likely to take longer as it is a new venture in a number of different ways. 
When writing and in full flow I can produce between 1000 and 2000 words in the day. I suppose if I really pushed myself I could double that but once again it would feel less enjoyable. I'm lucky!
Whatever, to me writing is an art form and as such is not produced to a time limit.

God Bless