Monday, 10 June 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - A sausage sarnie! + a simple pizza base



This is not a lite bite!

The above sandwich was an amalgamation of left overs. I had a small onion, an egg 2 low fat sausages, a few new potatoes and a wholemeal bread bun plus some bits and pieces in my cupboard to enhance flavours.
The potato salad is spicy and the sausages were cooked with onions and mushrooms. It was very tasty!

The full recipe is on the appropriate TAB above.

As an experiment I have been 'playing with' pizza bases. While my daughter and I were in Rome at the end of April we had pizza for one of our evening meals, no surprise there you may say, but the base was exquisite and very thin. It allowed the taste of the topping to come through. That was the inspiration for this morning of experimentation. I love pizza but never buy deep pan or stuffed crust any more because they are not Italian and detract from the flavours on the top! I'll let you know how I go on.

The best of yesterday's attempts!
then!!!!!!!
this.
I feel quite pleased!

The recipe is very simple. 
Ingredients
5oz plain flour
2tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
cold water to bind.
Method
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and add the water carefully until you have a workable dough that isn't too sticky. Knead the dough for a minute or two then roll into a circle. Using a frying or crepe pan and a little olive oil brown the pizza base on both sides then place on a baking tray. Apply the topping then place in a moderate to hot oven for about twenty minutes. Voila!

God Bless