Sunday, 9 June 2013

Story writing - telling stories.



'I want to tell you a story'

I had another Bart Simpson moment this morning - Duh!
When thinking about writing stories I had quite forgotten the influence of story telling both by others to me and by me to others. 


The above book was the first I can remember having had read to me by the headteacher of my infant school.  It was often the case that headteachers gave class teachers some time out by holding one of these reading activities sessions. At the junior school I attended we had a similar experience when the headmaster read:-


Sadly, once I reached the age of 11 I transferred to grammar school and the story telling stopped. Having always been a reader it didn't mean my experience of stories stopped but it was self-driven and my mum guided me to the local library. It wasn't until 4th and 5th form, when we had to study writings as part of the examination curriculum, that teachers became involved once again.
After leaving school, training to be a teacher and working in secondary school, another sabbatical from story telling occurred until my sons were born. Then again when my daughter was born.
In amongst the family changes there were also work changes and I began to read stories to the under 11s that were in my class in the school in which I was employed. There were two stories that stood out as being popular with the children:-

 and   both of which were extremely popular with boys and girls alike.

Now I believe that one of the reasons for the popularity was my attempts at voice characterisation. I'm not saying that I was any good but I tried and the classes I read to seemed to appreciate the effort.

 Jackanory was a daily BBC short which involved someone reading a story on TV. These people were often well-known personalities but even Prince Charles became involved.

My feeling is that story telling activities are an important factor in child development. I believe that there is a basic human need to allow the mind to 'escape' reality for brief periods of time. Why else would people want to make up stories? Of course this all leads on to the necessity for people to be able to decode written symbols which they've been doing for millennia. It is all inter-linked and points to the need for people like writers to provide the fuel for hungry imaginations. So if you are a story writer or teller - KEEP GOING!

R.I.P. Iain Banks


Author Iain Banks has died aged 59, two months after announcing he had terminal cancer, his family has said.
The Scottish writer revealed in April he was suffering from terminal gall bladder cancer and was unlikely to live for more than a year.

He was best known for his novels The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road and Complicity.

God Bless