Saturday, 15 June 2013

Writing - Mental pictures and imagination.



I've been writing this morning, I don't often on a Saturday because I'm usually busy cooking but not today. I'm being taken out for lunch tomorrow as it is Father's Day so no need to create. I had time so I continued Chapter 9 of Cessation. The story is developing to my satisfaction but it struck me that what I was doing while writing was picturing the scene as it unfolded before me. I think that is why errors creep into my work. I see what is happening and need to write quickly to get down what I'm looking at. (As John Milton once said 'The mind is its own place')
I've been 'Stumbling' recently and have come across a number of pages that give out advice about being a writer. The advice is free and much of it excellent but there is one thing that crops up frequently and that is the suggestion to keep a notebook handy at all times. Really that reflects back on me trying to rapidly describe my mental pictures as I'm writing my books. There is no telling when such pictures will explode into your mind and so having a notebook handy is explainable. Another thing that works for me is poetry. Oh I know many people would say that writing and reading poetry is not 'fashionable' but one thing it does do is encourage you to focus on words. I have found that the more poetry I write the more aware I am of the sound of what I'm writing in my novels - the voice if you like.
Voice is a huge term that probably means different things to different writers. For me the way my work 'sounds' is the atmosphere I perceive when reading my words. I am aware that it is not such a good idea to define an abstract concept with another fairly abstract term but 'voice' is so much more than the audible sound of the words. It includes the feel of the situation as well so as I'm writing I am partially aware of the voice as well as the mental picture that I'm writing from at the time. It's all good fun.

-------------------------------------------------------

The 51st State

Another chapter of 'The 51st State' is available at Venture Galleries (see below)

http://venturegalleries.com/serial-title/the-51st-state/

THE 51ST STATE

Patrick A Steele is principally an Englishman. He finds the influence that the USA enjoys within his country to be abhorrent and decides that he should research into the possibility of doing something about the ‘special relationship’ to which the two nations profess.
Patrick Steele is an accountant with training in a variety of physical skills. He has made himself a self-styled Robin Hood available to right the wrongs of society using his skills as an accountant and a man of violence.
The Gurentai, a more benevolent sub-group of the Japanese Yakuza, set Steele up with a Swiss bank account with sufficient remuneration to purchase an empty factory unit and set it up as a training facility and garage.
After persuading his Japanese companion, Takuo Sumisu and Naomi Kobayashi, to become involved, he also elicits assistance from the German and French secret services. There then ensues a variety of actions that take Patrick and his Japanese allies across Europe and eventually to the US before returning to the UK. Will the efforts of Patrick and his cronies be enough to drive a rift between the USA and the UK? Discover the outcome in ‘The 51ST State’
- See more at: http://venturegalleries.com/serial-title/the-51st-state/#sthash.wGYAy7jF.dpuf

God Bless