Thursday, 13 June 2013

Writing - Poetry on YouTube




I wrote my usual poetry blog yesterday and shared the results of a 'how to write poetry' exercise. These I am going to have as the subject of my YouTube blog today.

http://youtu.be/36xf8kwkW-c

My aim of uploading these poems is to become more comfortable but so far that doesn't seem to be working I feel that I still look like a frightened rabbit in the car headlights! However, the content is interesting I hope to more than just myself.

'A book is a friend that does what no friend can do - stay quiet when you want to think!'

The newest project of mine 'Cessation' has surpassed 20k words. It is a slightly different take on post-apocalyptic Britain. I can hear you groaning 'Oh No! Not another one.' but I believe that it is a different take in that I'm consecrating on relationships, reasons for the apocalypse happening and a different take on group dynamics. As this is a departure from the Steele novels I half thought it may be a bit of a struggle but I think there is a momentum to an exciting new work that carries you forward. I was discussing this with my daughter, who is writing in her spare time, and she has admitted to 'first chapter syndrome'. She talked a great deal of what Caleb Pirtle III featured in a recent blog and that was 'voice'. I'm sure that she will get over it but she did say that when she re-reads her first chapter it doesn't come across as she wants it to. I suggested that she writes a second chapter before re-reading, which may work for her. Whatever she will find a way.



I just bought: 'Broom's Odyssey' by Jo VonBargen

This Texan author and poet produces vivid and compelling work. I just bought the above book for my Kindle.

God Bless