The Ministry of Defence closed its UFO desk because it served "no defence purpose" and was taking staff away from "more valuable defence-related activities", newly released files show.The desk was closed in December 2009 despite a surge in reported sightings.
The disclosure came in National Archives files relating to reports of UFOs - Unidentified Flying Objects - between 2007 and November 2009.
They show UFOs were reported at several UK landmarks, including Stonehenge.
'Living with an alien'
Among the 4,400 pages of documents released are:
- A letter from a school child in Altrincham, Greater Manchester, to the MoD, dated January 2009, asking if aliens exist after she had seen some strange lights, and including a drawing of an alien in a UFO waving
- A report received via the UFO hotline by someone who had been "living with an alien" in Carlisle for some time
- A report from a man from Cardiff who claimed a UFO abducted his dog, and took his car and tent, while he was camping with friends in 2007
- "Green, red and white lights" reportedly seen over the Houses of Parliament in London in February 2008
- "Discoid" shapes in photographs of Stonehenge, in an email dated in January 2009
- Photographs taken at Blackpool Pier which show an aircraft that had not been seen at the time the picture was taken in October 2008
The files show the number of UFO sightings reported to the MoD trebled in the year the desk was closed.
All interesting stuff and I point you back at the 'Dolphin' poem featured in yesterday's Poetry Thursday 67 blog. UFO's have been a persistent topic for several decades and even in these times of more sophisticated tracking and searching equipment they won't go away! Perhaps that is because all of such equipment is pointing inwards!
I typed UFO into Google just now and came back with over 13 million links!
Do we live within the molecules of a table leg?
When we leave a room how do those left behind know we still exist?
When we are silent and alone in a room what is outside?
All our lives are inside our heads.
The policies of governments push us towards isolationism.
The internet is a vehicle carrying us towards emptiness.
Social interaction is a developing anathema
Criminality will increase and the populations fall
Small will become beautiful – the only way
Can we change our direction in time?
Will we learn what we did wrong?
Will the minority fat controllers listen at last?
©David L Atkinson January 2013