Monday, 8 July 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - Fisherman's Pie


I fancied fish last weekend and found the recipe for Fisherman's Pie, that is not Fish Pie, the clue is in the 
name. Now if you have shopped for wet fish recently you will no how expensive it is. Morrison's have a good fish counter staffed by a proper fishmonger (I love that word). He spotted my consternation at the range of fish and the level of expense. 'I have some pieces of cod already cut up which will be the best choice for a fish pie,' he told me. So, coming from the north east of England where cod is the fish of choice, I was pleased to add that to my basket. The recipe came from my late Mum's Women's Institute Cookbook dating back about 50 years. It was submitted from a member of that auspicious body who lived in Shincliffe Co. Durham. There was also a recipe for Fish Envelopes on the page before this one which was remarkably similar apart from the addition of capers which I did try out.
  
As always the full recipe is on the relevant TAB at the top of this page.

I did photograph the fish envelope I made.  It rather resembles an old fashioned flat iron rather than something to eat. When I cut into it there was some filling but a little hard to spot!

There are all sorts of possibilities with this dish. I added a few capers and the really enhanced the flavours. Although I made a basic white sauce you could add hard-boiled egg to it or use parsley in the sauce rather than to sprinkle on the layers. Whatever, the final dish was really tasty even if I say so myself.


Women’s Institutes (WI) are British, community-based organisations for women. The WI movement was formed in 1915 with two clear aims: to revitalise rural communities and to encourage women to become more involved in producing food during the First World War. Since then the organisation's aims have broadened and it is now the largest women’s voluntary organisation in the UK. The organisation celebrated its 95th anniversary in 2010 and currently has approximately 208,000 members in 7,000 WIs

God Bless