Sunday, 21 July 2013

Writing - A good start to the day




We're always told about the importance of a good start to the day and the above was my start to Sunday. So simple and yet really tasty. I just never think to make it! Stories need good starts and I'll be honest I am not 100% sure that I've got it right as yet but here are the first sentences of my Steele novels see what you think.

First lines

Ever since I was at primary school there were indications of character traits that would shape my life

Walking home from the pub is not pleasurable anymore....



Having often heard the rain in Ireland variously described as 'soft' and 'warm' I now have evidence of what is meant http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inceptus-ebook/dp/B00CV9IHBM/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369242131&sr=1-10&keywords=david+l+atkinson

The link with each first sentence or line will take you to the Amazon page where the books are available for Kindle from Amazon. I think that sometimes the first lines are considered good if the book becomes successful, but on the other hand if the first page doesn't grab the reader then the book won't be read with obvious consequences! Is it a 'chicken and egg' situation?

------------------------------------
And the first few lines of my latest tale, 'Cessation', which is not a Steele story,

'It was bright. He screwed his eyes against the dazzling sunshine and at the same time shivered slightly as a chill wind blew from over the top of the hill behind him. '

--------------------------------------
Now I  don't know whether any of the books I have written and will write become blockbusters, I would say it is unlikely in my life time but I have no crystal ball but what a nice thought if some of the words we write are often quoted. Take a look at some of these:-

'Call me Ishmael' (Moby Dick - Herman Melville)

'Marley was dead: to begin with.' (A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens)

'It was seven o'clock of a very warm evening in the Seeonee hills when Father Wolf woke up from his day's rest' (The Jungle Books - Rudyard Kipling)

'Godber was murdered,' said Lady Mary. I am fully aware that you refuse to believe me, but I know' (Grantchester Grind - Tom Sharpe)

'The buzz in the street was like the humming of flies.' (The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith)

The latter two are not blockbusters although as Galbraith is an alter ego of J K Rowling it may get there, but I do like the atmosphere they elicit. You may well have your own examples but then there are others which do nothing to draw me into the depths of their pages. I won't reproduce them because really the preference is a personal one but suffice it to say that the books are popular as were the films that were made from them later.

Beginnings

God Bless