Monday, 16 September 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - Chowder



Fish Chowder


While in Canada and the USA I sampled chowder on more than one occasion and determined that I would make one once I arrived home. Not being naturally gifted I read through a variety of recipes and came up with this adaptation of one by Nigel Slater. Its a simple recipe or is that a recipe for a simpleton!
Like many of the budget recipes that I have produced this is not expensive consisting of vegetables, a basa fillet (£1), creme fraiche, and a glass of white wine. (See the recipe TAB for more detail). As an extra I threw in some crayfish (£0.62.5). It's not gourmet but very tasty.
The basa fillet is a South East Asian fish but was rather bland hence the handful of crayfish that I threw in but turned out to be a poor man's prawn - rather tough and tasteless. That's what experimentation is about whether in cooking or writing.

I was watching Alistair Campbell, political spin doctor, alcoholic, depressive writer, being interviewed on TV about his latest book which is about a teenage girl who is also an alcoholic. The interviewers seemed to think that the fact that he was relating the story from different characters viewpoints' was being innovative. It's a ploy that is as old as the hills. In the 'Moonstone' by Wilkie Collins, written at the end of the 19th century, the author uses that very strategy. Far be it for me to brag but I have used this on occasions in my Steele novels (51st State). I do wish the BBC researchers would research!

God Bless