Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Poetry Thursday 80 - National Poetry Day 'Water'

National Poetry Day is a campaign for poets, poetry fans and poetry organisations to enjoy and participate in, held every year on the first Thursday in October.
Poetry helps us to remember stories, from Jack and Jill all the way to the Odyssey. Children love rhymes and rhythms; but poetry also helps them to improve literacy, to articulating a story or argument, to deliver a punchline or a morisal.
The theme for National Poetry Day 2013 is 'water'.

Lord Byron
'If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad'



A Seaburn Sonnet

I was born and raised within easy reach
Been a while since I set foot on the beach
What I noticed first was the strident sound
How loudly the waves crashed on pebbled ground

From atop the crumbling cliff all seemed calm
Up close and personal it could do great harm
I resolve not to stay away so long
The sea has a need to give me its song

The air is better closer to the sea
Ozone is plentiful and all for free
Good for the voice a teacher did assert
Legal performance enhancer - no dirt!

Sweet music and song from water and rocks
But be warned the sea is sly as a fox
©David L Atkinson October 2012


And a more recent tongue in cheek offering.


Last Wish

When it’s time to take the final sleep
the body tired and the mind free.
Cast the ashes into the deep
then enemies can dance upon the sea!
©David L Atkinson September 2013

And a topical quote from the late Spike Milligan

'A sure fire cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree'

God Bless