Saturday, 5 October 2013

Writing - Opportunity knocks




Yesterday I took the opportunity to advertise 'The 51st State' as a result of some increased interest from the other side of the pond. In the way that the mind builds connections mine jumped to the fact that tonight, Saturday 5th October, the National Lottery ticket price jumps to £2 but there are more opportunities to win.

We are often told to 'take our opportunities' or that we are having 'the opportunity of a life time'.

There is a caveat and that is, rather like the Lottery, you have to be in it to win it. So with writing, and this takes me to when I was for years thinking to myself that one day I would write a book. I can't exactly remember the date or time but I remember that I started in 2009. However, its about taking the first step, write the first word or sentence. It is rather like eating an elephant - you can only do it one mouthful at a time.

Now at that time as now there are people out there who are willing to give budding writers advice. I have been given loads of tips and pointers by some pretty great people but there are some things that actually seem to stall the activity before it ever started. In fact until you really begin to write, which I have found to be an exceptionally personal and individual process, you have no idea what type of a writer you are.

There is no right or wrong way. Some people have to create an intensive plan for their work others just sit and write and there is a kaleidoscope of shades of those processes in between. There are probably totally different approaches somewhere. I'm a 'sit down and write it' kind of writer. I tend to begin with a brief outline but then I have a need to get on with the job. There are some successful writers, Ian Rankin is one, who find this method works for them.

My advice is in two parts. First if you want to write then read. Read anything and everything, read the genre you're interested in writing, and secondly, start writing today.

God Bless