Monday, 25 November 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - Basic bolognese sauce




Bolognese with pasta

I have produced a recipe for bolognese sauce on previous occasions and most people who cook have a version of their own so I'm not about to post this in my recipe section. I was in a bit of a rush this weekend so I reverted to a meal that I find easy to produce.

Meat sauce
450g beef mince
large tin of chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp fresh basil (optional)
salt and black pepper
1 onion, chopped
4 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp sugar (optional)
250ml red wine
butter/oil for frying

Method
Heat the butter or oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, fry for 5 minutes then add the garlic and fry for a further minute or so. Add the minced beef and brown, stirring frequently. When the meat is browned add the salt, pepper and tomato puree then finally the tinned tomatoes. You may add fresh basil and sugar at this point. Pour in the red wine and bring to the boil then simmer for 30 - 40 minutes. If it is drying out have some beef stock available.

This is quite simple and some manufacturers produce bottled tomato based sauces that they add to mince, onions and garlic and they're very good. I don't find the above takes any longer and I prefer the taste of my home made effort is more satisfying.

This is the basic sauce that I make to add to spaghetti or lasagna but, as in the photo, I just had some fusilli available and it did the job. I followed that on another day with rice and the final plate was an experiment.

I have quite a low boredom threshold where food is concerned and embrace change! Rather than have the Italian style meal I thought that I would try and curry the left overs. By frying in butter, cumin, ginger, chilli powder, turmeric, mustard seeds and curry powder then stirring into the existing meat sauce and simmering for 10 to 15 minutes. I served with rice and it was okay.

I suppose the fact is that the basic sauce is as versatile as you want it to be.

God Bless