Thursday, 14 November 2013

Writing - Wearing the plot - again!

I touched on this aspect of writing stories last week but since then have had quite a traumatic time writing the final chapters of Cessation.


Book cover for Cessation?

By the nature of the story the likelihood of the outcome being pleasant and satisfying was always pretty slim. This is a departure from the way the Steele novels often ended and so presented me with a challenge.
When I use the title 'wearing the plot' I'm allowing my poetic side to peep through but for me it is a good way to describe how I write. If I couldn't see myself in the scenes I've created then they wouldn't work for me, but in that there is a risk.

Are you sure you want to step into this mysterious realm? 
You may get lost in there and not be able to find your way out.

When you step into the realm that you've created you may be open to the hazards therein. So when writing about death and disaster, you need to bring the emotions to bear that may be experienced when in the scene. So I have been feeling upset, desolated, afraid, hopeless, threatened and so on.

 
Another cover?

How do I achieve that? Well I do what every good writer tries to do and write from experience. Some of those experiences may have been realised personally and others via research. To produce a creditable piece of writing then the emotion has to shine through.

This is close!

Do you cry when you kill off an old favourite? Perhaps you don't but there should be some feelings of regret. If I killed Steele off I would miss him certainly, which shouldn't be surprising as I've invested a great deal of time in him. As there is another Steele novel forming in mind there is little chance of that presently.


or perhaps this?

'Cessation' is a different sort of story and more dependent on relationships than action although there is plenty of the latter. It is natural that those relationships should illicit a stronger audience reaction or at least I hope so. When writing, if you engage the senses then you are in with a better chance of engaging the emotions also. 
I must admit to being a little teary at one point in the penultimate chapter of Cessation!

God Bless