Monday, 9 December 2013

A Tuesday Recipe - Homity Pie


Homity Pie

Homity pie is a traditional British open vegetable pie. The pastry case contains a filling of potatoes and an onion and leek mixture, which is then covered with cheese.
It has a history that dates back to the efforts of the Land girls of the Second World War and the restrictions imposed by wartime rationing.
The above suggested recipe has a pastry case but I obtained the recipe from Slimming World and so there is no pastry involved. It is a very tasty pie and as I had some button mushrooms I threw in a handful of them and some fresh basil. These adaptations came from what I had available and really sets the tone as this was created at a time when there was a country wide 'make do and mend' attitude due to the privations caused during wartime. This resulted in versions of the pie springing up with regional variations so you will find recipes for Cornish, Frugal and Crank's Homity. So my message to you is have fun!
THE FULL RECIPE IS ON THE TAB ABOVE


------------------------------------------------------


Underwood Typewriters Christmas Old (1937)
Typewriters from 1937

What every writer needs! 
I have started my 6th Steele novel and therefore 7th book in total and it may be entitled 'Most Wanted Artefact"
Enjoy the Homity Pie

God Bless