Monday, 6 January 2014

A Tuesday Recipe - Chilli con Carne + a Bourdin toastie



Chilli con Carne

I am not intending to put the recipe for this on the TAB because I have uploaded one in the past but I did want to share a couple of things that I add to make this chilli taste that little more special. I reckon that some of you will do this anyway but for the record once everything id bubbling away in the pan I add a teaspoonful of sugar and 2 squares of dark chocolate, grated. I find that it adds a richness to the overall dish.

A Rich French Toastie

Now below is an Atkinson creation. I can't claim that it is totally original because the idea was given to me by a friend as was one of the ingredients. However, it wasn't in this format and there is a major difference.


Ingredients

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 wholemeal teacake
4 slices of camembert
3 button mushrooms, sliced
2" of bourdin noir, sliced

Method

Fry the mushrooms and bourdin noir in the oil for 4 or 5 minutes. Grill the outside of the teacake. Butter the teacake (optional) and place the slices of camembert on top. Place the bourdin and mushrooms over one half and return under the grill. Leave until the cheese begins to melt and serve either open or closed.

Health and Safety!!! this is not a calorie free snack!!!!

Of course French bourdin noir is somewhat more healthy than the English black pudding, as it hasn't the lumps of cholesterol enhancing fat. It is somewhat more crumbly and delicate than our own version.


The dish was suggested with a different cheese, the one pictured above - epoisses. It is not always easy to get hold of so as I had the Camembert that was what I used.


God Bless