Thursday, 2 January 2014

Writing - Critical reboot & first footing



Will it really?

I've been pretty fortunate over the years with my technological devices and today was the first time that I had to get 'a man' out to my laptop. Scary prices to have a real person coming through the door! After two hours of prodding and poking to discover the reason for my intermittent loss of broadband connection he suggested a critical reboot. Even though I have done it somewhat successfully it still chills me to the bone to type the term. It is not a quick fix but it seems to have worked thank goodness.

First footing


In Scottish and Northern English folklore, the first-foot, also known in Manx Gaelic as quaaltagh or qualtagh, is the first person to enter the household of a home on New Year's Day and a bringer of good fortune for the coming year.
Although it is acceptable in many places for the first-footer to be a resident of the house, they must not be in the house at the stroke of midnight in order to first-foot (thus going out of the house after midnight and then coming back in to the same house is not considered to be first-footing). The first-foot is traditionally a tall, dark-haired male; a female or fair-haired male are in some places regarded as unlucky.
I remember being put out of the house before midnight to shiver on the steps, clutching a lump of coal and awaiting midnight to pass. I am not tall, dark or handsome so it is hardly surprising that our luck was no better, or worse, than the next fellows. My first foot was the computer guy and if the rules follow my luck won't be any better this year!
God Bless