Monday, 10 February 2014

Tuesday Recipe - Tadpoles in the hole

This is my take on a well known recipe.

Tadpoles (mini toads) in the hole

This is an incredibly cheap meal to make and borders on the healthy!! I am not posting a recipe on the Tab because it doesn't warrant that level of attention but rather it is a cheeky alternative to a huge Toad in the Hole. If you live on your own or if you fancy tempting the children without over facing them then this is a possibility. 
It came about because I fancied Yorkshire puddings last Sunday for Yorkshire pudding day and rather than spending time and effort making them I bought ready prepared puddings. I was looking for a plate sized pudding but they only had the 12 minis left! The most expensive part are the sausages which were £2 for 8 but they are 'healthy' sausages and I find quite tasty. The remainder of the meal was very reasonable, the puddings worked out at about 20p each and the veg is negligible. This is also a very quick meal to make half an hour to an hour and that is mostly because of the roasted roots.
I roasted carrots and parsnips in olive oil, salt black pepper and paprika, boiled the potato and green beans; then fried the sausages in vegetable oil with an onion and some seasoning. The Yorkshire puds take 4 minutes and I assembled the lot and popped them under the grill for a few minutes. The gravy was from granules with onions added from around the sausages. All-in-all a very simple but satisfying meal.


God Bless