Friday, 28 February 2014

Writing - Time management.

I could be referring to how many hours a day I feel that its best to write. I could be thinking of how many books I should be able to complete in a year. In fact I'm thinking neither of those things.


What I'm actually referring to is concerning the passage of time in stories. 
I have just completed two chapters in my latest Steele novel, Most Wanted Artefact, and I found that I needed to write them in parallel. This was because of the way the characters split away from each other. Well they didn't so much split as were prised apart!

When a story takes a turn where the two main characters are involved in action running concurrently then obviously as the book is read in series then the chapters need to follow on but the writing process can be operated so that there is a greater sense of reality in the mind of the writer if the chapters are written alongside each other. It was an interesting experience and I hope when I come to proof read the story that I haven't mixed the two up!


When I first began writing I Have To Get It Right  I think that I became rather bogged down in reporting the chronology of the story. This is something which, as confidence has grown, that I've moved away from. Chronology is still important but it isn't necessary to become a slave of time.


Give away!

This is a special weekend for me as my daughter is getting married tomorrow and to celebrate I've decided to give away two of the Steele novels as found on Smashwords. 



Patrick A Steele has discovered an injustice which involves organised crime and kidnapping for the sex trade and he applies his unique skillset to disrupt the evil group behind these heinous atrocities. This fourth Steele novel continues the association of our hero with the Japanese Gurentai one of whom he is becoming increasingly romantically attached to - but is it reciprocated? When weekend rioting seems to be driven by some hidden force Patrick and his confederates travel in the UK and eastern Europe in an effort to overcome the activities of an evil crime lord and his hired assassin.





In this the 5th Steele novel Patrick tackles the person who has been surreptitiously dogging his footsteps over a number of his adventures. This is not without risk and the focus of his love, Naomi Kobayashi, disappears which seriously affects his ability to function as well as he can. We also find out more about the man himself. The adventure takes him to Eire, France, the USA before he returns to resolve the issue in the UK. Will Patrick finally rid himself of a deadly enemy? Can our hero rescue his love or is it already too late? Another Patrick Steele adventure filled with tension and action as well as the support provided by the team he has developed over the years.

NB. If you click on the title of each section it will link you to Smashwords.

God Bless