Monday, 24 March 2014

Tuesday Recipe - Penne pasta with Italian sausage



On the plate
and
straight from the oven


My daughter and her new husband returned from honeymooning in Florence and brought real penne pasta and some beautiful extra virgin olive oil so it was inevitable that I cooked Italian this weekend. I also love Italian food and am further encouraged by the healthy qualities of a Mediterranean diet. This recipe is a pasta bake and is quite straight forward but very tasty. I would advise anyone trying it to have fresh basil available the tomatoes in this dish love fresh basil. I bought a plant from my local supermarket, costs about £1 and it lasts around 6 - 8 weeks before I am denuding it of leaves faster than it can re-grow them! Cheaper than the dried stuff and maintains it's flavour. I also prefer to tear the leaves rather than chopping them.

The full recipe is on the appropriate TAB.

Great Escape


Today is the 70th anniversary of the escape from Stalag Luft III which inspired the making of the film of the same name. Over seventy prisoners escaped, 3 made it back to England and fifty were executed by the Gestapo, the remainder were re-incarcerated.

God Bless