Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Writing - A Venture Gallery Blog Tour

A submission as part of a blog tour to be featured on Venture Galleries hosted by Caleb Pirtle III and Stephen Woodfin.


Recently, I was invited to join a touring group. No, we’re not singing and playing music.  But we are sharing a bit about ourselves as writers and then shamelessly promoting our writing. Our answering the four questions below will give you some idea who we are as writers and why we pound these silly keys over and over again.

What am I working on?

I have recently finished the manuscript of the 6th Steele novel 'Castled' and much of my time is spent preparing that book for publication. The cover is currently presenting a problem which I hope will be solved by the end of this week. Even so I have started my next story which once again features Patrick Steele. The idea for the story came to me as I was nearing the end of 'Castled' so at the moment very busy.

How does my work differ from others in this genre?

I don't consider myself as a writer tied to one genre. I have written the Steele novels which are all of a similar genre but then there is also 'Cessation' a dystopian novel. In fact some of the Steele novels tend towards possible futures while still being written in the present time. 'A Changed Reality' explores a possibly 'other' future without being intentionally SF. In a sense I write adventure/thriller/mystery stories but with my own leaning towards social concerns.

Why do I write what I write?

To adequately explain why I write it is necessary to return to the beginning. I have had the urge to write for a number of years without really knowing what category I would be fitting into and there hangs the problem. Since my teenage years I've always felt it wrong to categorise or be categorised. As a member of the baby boomer generation living through the flower power/free love era, I question the realities to which the accepted establishment expect us to conform. So I don't write to fulfil the parameters of a particular genre, I write to satisfy my own personal need.

How does my writing process work?

My writing process is intensely personal and is similar to Ian Rankin's, he is the guy who writes the Rebus novels about a Scottish police detective operating in and around Edinburgh. He writes from scratch, just sits down and does it. I'm not that good I usually get an idea, and it can come from anywhere, rough out the first five chapters, no more than a couple of sentences per chapter, list my characters, location and skills or equipment then I start. Quite often where I'm going is decided by the characters and their personalities. I think that is why I've not suffered the dreaded writer's block. No matter where you are in your writing if things seem to be slowing or taking a different direction don't be afraid to deviate from your plan. Sticking slavishly to a plan is where blocks can be generated if the plan has weaknesses! 

Thanks for touring along with me. Now you will have the opportunity to see how another writer I know creates the work she does:

Born in Brussels, brought up on three continents (Europe, Africa, America), Claude Nougat is a Columbia University graduate (economics). Now happily retired, she dedicates herself to her two lifelong passions, writing and painting. So far she has published two books in Italian and eight books in English (6 novels, one collection of short stories and an essay on development aid).

On VG today.

http://venturegalleries.com/serial/he-was-trying-to-escape-when-the-car-hit-him/

God Bless