Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Writing - Opportunities that become writing exercises

It's amazing where inspirational opportunities come from but in reality it is how the recipient perceives the incident. One person's inspiration is another's nightmare and that's the way it could have been this morning.

Version 1
I have a single cup cafetiere. It holds enough coffee for one mug but when you accidently knock it over, that's when science fiction takes over! Although it only holds around 1 dessert spoon of grounds and just over half a pint of water once set in motion, the volume of liquid and weight of coffee increases geometrically according to the force with which it was initially propelled. Then of course you have the flow factor! When I've finished the instant coffee I made as a replacement, I will empty and clean out the cutlery draw, clean the kitchen work tops, wash every piece of cutlery and sweep and mop the floor!!!!!!

If you are new to writing or feel the need to branch out into short stories, then everyday occurrences, no matter how mundane, can provide opportunities. I put that paragraph on Facebook this morning to relieve some of my annoyance at the accident which gave me extra work. However, I could have been a touch more creative.

Version 2

I was looking forward to my 'proper' cup of coffee and bacon sandwich for breakfast having been for an early morning swim. I felt it could be justified. The ground coffee I used was from a very reputable company and described as mellow with an underlying strength. I charged the cafetiere wit the required quantity of grounds and water (just off the boil) and prepared to butter the bread ready for the crisp rashers of grilled back bacon. Reaching into the cupboard where my crockery resides I took out a breakfast mug and swung it towards the work surface. That was when it all went pear-shaped!

I could go on  but you get the gist of the total experience in Version 1. The second example sets the seen in a more story-like manner. I could have gone even further and described the 'mouth-watering odours from the brewing coffee and grilling bacon permeating the modern kitchen'. The description of the coffee pot falling could be made quite spectacular. 'The base of the cup hit the fineal atop the coffee pot imparting enough propulsion to both over balance the pot and propel the top away from the base allowing the steaming, brewing liquid to erupt across the work surface'  and so on. Simply, the exercise allows the writer to flex literary muscles in a shorter form and that is a good thing to do. You can play about with it ad nauseum but the exercise can be of benefit. If you don't fancy doing this, then don't. Writing should be an enjoyable experience.


God Bless