Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Writing - Richard Attenborough RIP



Richard Attenborough 1923 - 2014

It would be remiss of me not to mention the passing of this great man. He entertained me for part of my childhood and much of my adult life as I'm sure he did many others. One of my favourite films of his was The Great Escape and he was also imposing in Jurassic Park, but I thought he was brilliant in Miracle on 34th Street. In fact I have that film on my hard drive and watch it at least once every year. He certainly wasn't a one trick pony and acting roles ranged from serial killer to Santa Claus but he was also a great supporter of charitable causes. He was involved with the Muscular Dystrophy Society and United World Colleges having particularly strong links with such a college in Swaziland.
There was tragedy later in his life in 2004 when the tsunami in the Indian Ocean hit Thailand where members of his family were holidaying. He lost a daughter and her mother-in-law and his granddaughter Lucy aged 15. He described it as the worst day of his life.

Lord Attenborough wasn't a writer but did produce an autobiography entitled Entirely up to you, Darling.

Attenborough as Pinkie Brown

God Bless